Steps to take if you think your employer wrongfully dismissed you

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2023 | Employment |

Records from the ACLU show that over 150,000 Americans are wrongfully terminated from their jobs each year. When you believe that you have experienced wrongful termination from your California employer, it can be quite a daunting experience. You may feel lost and overwhelmed, unsure about what to do next.

Thankfully, knowing your rights and the appropriate actions to take can make this stressful situation more manageable.

Identify the reason for your termination

The first step is to identify the reason for your dismissal. If your employer stated a reason, do a bit of research to determine whether it aligns with California labor laws. For example, termination due to race, gender, religion, sexual orientation or retaliation for reporting a violation of laws at the workplace are all illegal under California law.

Document everything

If you believe your dismissal violated California labor laws, gather all relevant documentation. This includes email correspondence, any written communication you had with your employer, your contract, pay stubs and any other relevant paperwork. Make sure you keep everything, as even seemingly unimportant documents can be critical evidence.

Speak up about your concerns

Next, voice your concerns to your former employer. It is possible they made an error or overlooked a detail. Reach out and discuss your concerns professionally. This step may lead to a resolution or clarification of any misunderstandings.

File a complaint with the California Labor Board

If you have determined that your termination was unlawful and discussions with your former employer did not resolve the issue, you can file a complaint with the California Labor Board. They will investigate your claim and take necessary actions based on their findings.

Remember, feeling wronged in the workplace is not something you have to endure in silence. Stand up for your rights, and make sure you get the justice you deserve.